CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, March 30, 2009

Robert Pattinson Transforms in Salvador Dali

Little Ashes was shown tonight at the Cine Lumiere in London as part of the “Lorca on Film” film series. The film was introduced by director Paul Morrison and screenwriter Philippa Goslet. Anja was there and sent us her report:

What can I say, I laughed and cried, I love when a film moves me like that. Outstanding performances by both Rob and Javier, beautiful settings, music and supporting cast. At first I just saw Rob, then I began to see Saldavor. Rob really put his heart and soul into the role.

After the film, Paul and Phillipa did a Q&A. Phillipa said she drew the first draft back in 2000. Someone asked if they had considered filming the movie in Spanish to which Morrison replied “every other day!” He continued “the story has been around for over 20 years and no Spanish film maker has ever told it. These two great artists belong to the world and we wanted to tell their story to a wide audience. The poetry readings were kept in Spanish, we had to do that for Lorca.”

When asked about the casting, Morrison explained that to begin with, they had a big budget which drew some big names but it just never felt right. After careful consideration and changes to the budget, Rob was approached - originally for the role of Lorca! But soon Morrison realized that Rob could identify so much better as Dali, as they share the same kind of intelligence. Rob “completely immersed himself into the role of Dali”. Morrison spent a lot of time with Javier and Rob on his own, until the chemistry was right.

During the break before the Q & A, I spotted Rob’s parents and had a chance to say hello. I told them how much I loved their son’s work. They told me it was their second time of seeing it. Rob’s sisters were also there. The theatre was at full capacity and I think a lot of people will spread the Little Ashes love!

Anja

No comments:

Post a Comment